Saturday, February 6, 2010

Big Boy CarSeat

Grady was getting WAY too heavy and also too long for his little infant carrier car seat, so we knew it was time to go ahead and graduate him to the bigger one. My dad told me about these GREAT carseats that Farm Bureau sells to their clients and they are only $25.00! So we ordered two! I was so excited about that purchase! So If you are a Farm Bureau member and need a car seat, look into it. They are great seats and will save you tons of money!
Anyway, we installed the new seats and the little man loves them. He's been using his new "Big Boy CarSeats" for several weeks now. Here's some pictures of his first ride in them.

Advice from people who've been there recently....... WHEN did you turn the car seat around to face forward? Someone told me that it was 20 pounds or 1 year old. Well, I know we're only at 8 months, but he is SOOOO 20 pounds... probably over that....ha! Any suggestions? Feel free to give them!

8 comments:

Tate Family said...

Safety-wise, I wouldn't turn him around until AT LEAST one year old...maybe even a little later than that. :)

Brooke said...

I agree. The rule is 20lbs. AND 1 year so I would wait as long as you can. Rear facing is the safest way for them to ride. My oldest was such a peanut that he wasn't 20lbs. until 15 mos. of age! I'm planning on keeping CeCe rear facing until she is 18 mos.-2 years. The only reason to turn them around is if they are very uncomfortable (length wise) or if they are getting carsick-yuck!). Grady is so cute!!!!

Jessica said...

I'd see what the instructions on your carseat say. The general rule is at least 20 lbs and at least one year old but some of them have a higher weight requirement I think. We turned Emma around at one year because she was at 22 lbs by then. She loves facing forward and she's much more comfortable now.

Breisch and Angie Stallings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Breisch and Angie Stallings said...

Julie, I thought it was fine to turn them around when they were 20lb, but when I asked the doctor, he said not to turn him around until 20lb and at least one year. The Doctor explained to me that if he is 20 lb before he is a year old his neck is still not strong enough to handle a front facing impact. Gage is now almost 18 lb, which is why I asked the Doctor.

Erin said...

Julie, we have quite a few of the same car seats from Farm Bureau. Such a great deal. And we are bad parents b/c we turned Sydney around at like 11 months. Go ahead and turn me in but it was the best thing we ever did. She was at the weight limit and was MUCH more pleasant in the car after that.

Kim Shirley said...

So jealous about the $25 carseat! I've been putting off buying the next size up for Owen - don't ask me why, just indecisiveness really. But I'm going to try to keep him facing back as long as I can stand. He weighed in at 21.7 today, and is looking kind of cramped, but I think we'll be able to make it to a year if I'll just go buy the next one and give him some more leg room. :)

Laura and Jeff said...

I turned Jakob around a few days before he turned one. I know it's hard and you want to turn them around, but it is worth the wait!