Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving from the Hammer clan! It's been a strange day for us. Little Grady-man is under the weather and we celebrated the day at home. He's been congested for a few days and yesterday started running fever. It got worse overnight and so we kept him home instead of getting him out in the cold and exposing his germs to both our families. I knew he was sick when the little guy refused to eat today! Grady-man has never been one to turn down food! Guess he gets that from Josh. ha! I had just thought he was teething again and that was the cause of the fever, but it's looking more like a really bad cold that he can't seem to get over. We'll be taking a trip to the doctor's office in the morning most likely.

ANYWAY, so it has been an "out-of-the-ordinary-Thanksgiving" for us. I was kind of moping earlier because I was at home all day long and not getting to see my family OR Josh's family. So much for the little turkey outfit that Grady was supposed to wear and all the pictures that I had planned on taking with all of his family members on his first Thanksgiving... (Gosh, didn't this same thing just happen to me on Halloween!!!?? I told Josh that if somebody gets sick at Christmas, it's HIS turn because Grady and I have already taken our turns being sick on special occasions! ha! just kidding!)

I was holding my sleeping little sick one and watching the news earlier this afternoon and saw the clips from places like the Salvation Army and such, feeding homeless people Thanksgiving dinner...and then clips of the military overseas eating Thanksgiving meals. It made me feel so small for actually being sad that I didn't get a piece of pecan pie or get to taste my mom's wonderfully delicious dressing. Big deal. How much have I been blessed this past year!!?? I have so much to be thankful for and how quick I can be to forget it and take it all for granted. This year has been a year of ups and downs for Josh and me with both of our jobs and learning to be parents. Yet I am extremely thankful to have a job during such a time as this, and to have the challenge of being a new mom...because that means that I have Grady!

Okay, I know this is a really long ramble of my thoughts, but it was just on my mind. I hope that you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that you took some time to think about what really means the most in your lives and what you're thankful for. Sometimes it takes the unexpected to throw me for a loop and change my plans enough to make me see the most important thing. Happy Turkey Day!
Love
Julie

No comments: