Thursday, June 17, 2010

Advertisement for Pampers!

WE ARE BOTTLE-FREE! WHOO HOO!
Thanks to these new sippy-transition-cups that I found. Who knew??? Pampers makes sippy cups! I saw them advertised in a BabiesRUs catalog I got in the mail. They are a new item, I think. They are called Pampers Natural Stages Bottle and SippyCups. Supposedly the stage 4 is a transition type cup and there is supposed to be a stage 5 after this one, but I have yet to find it anywhere online or in a store. Anyway though, if your child has trouble letting go of his bottle like mine did, these are wonderful and I highly recommend them! Grady LOVES them and we have been bottle-free now for 5 days! YEA for Pampers! So eventually we will work our way to a "real" sippycup! ha!
Yea for "big boy cups!!!"
And now...on to the next summer-time battle of mom v.s. son: "BIG BOY FOOD!!!"

**side note...I feel like a terrible mom at times because I hear of other people's children doing things faster than Grady is doing them, or doing them with more ease, I guess. I have decided not to worry about any of it anymore. He will learn when I have time and when he gets ready! And now that I am off this summer to spend more time on these mom v.s. son battles, I think we will start to make progress. Just since I have been home for the summer, we have accomplished these: we have gotten rid of the bedtime bottle/feeding, gotten rid of bottles altogether, AND transitioned to only one nap a day (he was napping 2-3 times when I was at school). Now, on to big boy food... YIKES!

So when we went to the doctor for his 12-month visit, I was so sad to find out that the doctor doesn't give a suggested feeding schedule/menu to you anymore after 12 months! Josh and I are such by-the-book parents, this being the first time around! (Poor Grady!) So what on earth is a poor first-time mom supposed to do without a suggested feeding schedule??? My child, unlike many others apparently, does not jump at the chance to eat table food or eat off our plates. In fact, he loves his baby food so much that I think he'd continue to scarf it down until he is 18 if I was okay with it. ha!

WELL, anyway, after researching online yesterday for ideas and what to feed a picky little 1 year old who doesn't chew all that well, AND talking on the phone to mom for an hour, I made a huge grocery list and Grady-man and I set out to find something that he will possibly eat! Yesterday's attempt is pictured below... He is SUCH a typical kid! I put carrots, green beans, and diced apples on his plate, along with a few of those Gerber "crunchies" that are basically toddler cheese-puffs. He immediately went for the crunchies and scarfed them all down, then just stared at me like "Ok, can I have some more of those?"
Today's attempt went somewhat better. For lunch we tried Ritz crackers with torn up cheese slices, diced carrots, asparagus spears, applesauce, and Gerber "chicken sticks." AND I didn't get anything spit back at me for once! Whoo hoo!

Stay tuned for the latest adventures in mom v.s. son!

And feel free to give me your suggestions for little picky eaters...

3 comments:

Kim Shirley said...

YEA!! And you're exactly right about feeling confident in Grady doing things on his own time schedule. This was a website that I found really helpful when we started table food:
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/. Hope it helps! With O, as always, it was all about the temperature. If we warmed it up he ate it! Call me if you want!

Tate Family said...

I second Kim's suggestion about wholesomebabyfood.com! Love that site. I remember that Wesley LOVED those Kraft cheese crumbles. They were the perfect bite-sized pieces. :) You are doing great. Just learn to trust your gut! :)

Laura and Jeff said...

Jakob can be somewhat picky at times. I try to stick with soft foods at first like cut up banana or GoGurt...you did have to squirt it out of the tub at first...bread or sweet dinner rolls torn into pieces, vanilla wafers, mashed up sweet potato. Finger foods are hard sometimes but just give it time. Oh and don't worry about a time schedule...Jeff and I were by the book parents for a little while and we still are when it comes to sleeping, but eating we aren't. Our doc always says, he'll eat what he needs when he needs it.
I can remember I was so worried cause Jakob hadn't said any words even at 15 months...and then one day out of the blue he started talking and now we can't get him to stop! Just give it all time...just wait till he's 2 everything gets thrown out the door cause the get a mind of their own and learn to say "no".