Friday, June 21, 2013

Bulldogs and Birthdays

Today my dear friend Erin made a wonderful baseball post on her blog.  I've read it several times today and also the articles that she linked about MSU in the CWS! 

(You can read it here:  ERIN'S POST)

You know I can't let her post without me including my two cents on this wonderful day as well! 

***Disclaimer...If you could care less about MSU baseball, please read no further.  I will be back to post pictures of Grady and Vera again soon...  Hint, Hint:  JENNY!

Today is my birthday.  33 years.  I've been an avid MSU baseball fan for about half of my life.  My dad took me to a few games when I was young, but when I really fell in love with the game and became a true fan of MSU baseball was when I was in 11th grade.  Dad and I went to the MSU regional with David and Michael Pierce and I remember right where I sat and just so many things about that awesome game.  It was on Monday of Memorial Day weekend and it was the final game in the regional.  Back then, there was no such thing as a super regional and so a win in this game would take us to Omaha.  That year's team was so much fun to watch...Brad Freeman, Richard Lee, Adam Piatt, and the star pitcher, Eric Dubose.  Dubose was pitching that day.  I believe the crowd for that game still stands as one of the top 5 all-time record crowds for Dudy Noble field.  We won the game and I was hooked as an MSU baseball fan forever.  Dad and I, just like thousands of other fans, were on the field after the game, scooping up dirt from the infield to take as souvineers!  ha. 

The next year, my senior year of high school, my dad introduced me to the legendary Ron Polk at an MSU alumni event in Yazoo where he had come to speak.  I was on cloud nine.  Of course dork me had a baseball for him to sign (which I still have to this day and cherish) and enjoyed talking to him so much!  I saw more games that year and it made me just that more excited about actually being a student at MSU because I knew I'd get to see even more.

When I got to State, God was just looking out for this dork girl who was so obsessed with MSU baseball because He put in my path another complete dork who was just as obsessed as I was...Erin (Loper) Hern.  GO figure!  Could there possibly be another person on the planet who loved baseball as much as I did??!!  Anyway, Erin and I were in the same sorority and we quickly realized that we had baseball in common.  We became quick friends and went to EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.  We even recruited lots of our friends who knew nothing at all about baseball and turned them into baseball fans as well!  :)  There was one season (I think it was my junior year) that I almost went to every single home game that year...  all except for one.  It was Easter Sunday and my mom made me come home that day.  ha.

My best friend from high school did not go to MSU, but her grandparents (Clark and Peggy Coleman) were DIE-HARD MSU Baseball fans.  They were at every game.  I sat with them many hours on Saturday and Sunday afternoons at Dudy Noble while Mr. Clark "kept the books" and Mrs. Peggy and I chatted about the game.

My other baseball friends, The Richardsons and the Alexanders, were also at every game.  Mrs. Robbie brought snacks for everybody and their grandma.  Mr. Jimmy and I would spend the game arguing about whether or not it was smart to bunt.  We still argue about that to this day.  I enjoy seeing them in our same ole seats when we go to Starkville for games.

I've sat at Dudy Noble through sweltering heat, freezing cold, rain, hail, and even one tornado.  I've watched the Dawgs win a lot and lose a lot.  Regionals, Super Bulldog Weekends, SEC Tournaments, everything.  But I don't know if I will ever look back on any of those years as much as this year.  Sad thing is, I am not able to go to all of the games anymore and so I haven't been able to see this team play in person much.  But they are truly the most remarkable team and so deserving of where they are right now.  I don't think there's a team out there anywhere that could make their school prouder than this team makes MSU fans all over the country.  In an ESPN article, it was said that the Diamond Dawgs have won the hearts of America.  They truly have.  Not with their talent alone (yes, the talent is there...) but with their character, sportsmanship, and team spirit.  They are so fun to watch and watching them win the game this afternoon was the best birthday present in the whole world for me.  I cannot believe I am going to get to watch my Bulldogs play in the National Championship on Monday.  (Wish it were in person, but oh well...)  I'm sure it's a dream come true for the players...for this life-long Bulldog Baseball fan, it gives me chills!  I am so excited I can hardly stand it!  Today was a birthday and a Bulldog team I will never forget!  Win or lose next week, I've NEVER been prouder to be a Bulldog!

My wonderful sister made this birthday cake for me...  Isn't it the BEST!?????

 
Hail State!

2 comments:

JERRY said...

WELL SAID. THANKS FOR ALL THOSE MEMORIES. IN MY BOOK, YOU AND ERIN ARE THE #1MSU BASEBALL FANS. I HOPE ONE DAY, THE TWO OF YOU GET TO GO TO OMAHA.

DAD

Erin said...

Love every word, yet again! What a great birthday present you got!

I was at that same regional in 11th grade. Richard Lee ended up living next door to my aunt once he graduated. I was a total dork and was always going over to visit just to catch a glimpse of him!

What great memories we have! One day you and I will go to Omaha. Let's hope our Dawgs make it back there soon and we will make it happen too. Maybe even Pete can go with us.

I'M SO EXCITED!