Thursday, February 7, 2013

SOUPS ON! Day 5

Swensen's Cheese Soup
Oh how I miss going to eat lunch at Swensen's!  I think it was Jenny who introduced me to this fabulous little place to eat in Jackson when I was in Jr. High.  I have so many memories of eating there with my mom and sisters and also with various friends from high school and college on weekends when I was home from MSU.  Every single time, I ordered the same thing:  a cup of their famous cheese soup, half of an egg salad sandwich, and a scoop of chocolate peanutbutter icecream.
 
One day a couple of years back, I was CRAVING some of that yummy cheese soup and so I tried to find one of those "copy-cat" recipes online.  This is what I found.  ***Note:  This isn't exactly the healthiest thing to eat I guess, but it is pretty close to Swensen's cheese soup as I remember it! 
Ingredients:
4 T. Butter
3 stalks celery, chopped fine
4 green onions, chopped fine
2 cans chicken broth
16 slices of Velveeta Cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 soup cans full of half-and-half

Saute the celery in butter.  Add green onions and saute some more until both veggies are really soft.  Add broth, cheese slices, and soup.  Stir often so cheese won't stick.  Last, add the half-and-half.

No comments: