Sunday, February 3, 2013

SOUPS ON! Day One

In my family, we LOVE to eat some soup! Especially during this time of year when it's cold outside.  I think I could probably live off of soup and sandwiches if I had to.  I have lots of soup recipes and they all make a huge pot, so we have leftovers sometimes for two more days!  Not having to cook one night is AWESOME to this working mom!  Plus, soup is SO easy to make!
 
So anyway, I thought I would share some of our favorite soups with you!  I have a week's worth of recipes to share...  We'll start with our family favorite...
 
Creamy Tomato Soup
 
Ingredients:
4 c. whole milk
3 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, lightly drained
2 rounded tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. sugar
4 T. all-purpose flour
2 T. butter, cut into pieces
1 stalk celery, coarsely shopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
toppings:  pesto and grated parmesan
 
Heat milk over medium-low heat in large pot.
 
Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, combine all other ingredients (except for toppings) and grind until very smooth.  (**Note:  My food processor won't hold it all, so I have to do it in two batches.  Depends on how large yours is!)  Pour tomato mixture into milk and raise heat to bring soup to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes uncovered.
 
Serve soup with a spoonful of pesto (stir into soup to blend in) and sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
 
We like ours with grilled cheese sandwiches or cheesesticks for dipping!  This is truly my favorite soup in the entire world!
 

No comments: