Friday, February 8, 2013

SOUPS ON! Day 6

Tomato Florentine Soup
When I was a kid, we ate at Shoney's all the time.  Guess that was a thing of my generation...there aren't that many Shoney's restaurants anymore, but when I was little, there was one in every town.  Anyway, my grandmother and I used to LOVE their Tomato Florentine Soup.  Once again, one day I had a craving for it and so I searched for a copy-cat recipe.  Couldn't really find one that I thought was similar, so I kind of put several things together from different recipes and came up with this soup.  If you like spinach, pasta, and tomatoes, you'll probably like it.
Ingredients:
2 T. olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 c. finely chopped celery
5 garlic cloves, minced
2 c. water
3 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
2 cans diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, undrained
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 c. uncooked small seashell pasta
4 c. fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add onion and celery.  Cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently. 

Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more. 

Add water, broth, tomatoes, and tomato sauce.  Bring to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Stir in the pasta (uncooked) and cook for 8 minutes.

Add spinach and cook for 2 minutes, or until spinach wilts and pasta is done.

Stir in salt and pepper. 

Top each bowl of soup with parmesan cheese.

No comments: